Is wet cat food better than dry cat food for a cat?

Whether cats should consume wet or dry food is a typical question asked by a cat owner. The good news is that most commercial cat foods, whether dry or wet cat food, provide an excellent source of nutrients. However, there are various aspects to consider while choosing the ideal diet for your cat, including:


  1. The weight of your cat
  2. Your cat's health condition
  3. Your budget


To offer the best health for your cat, you and your veterinarian can decide whether to feed dry, canned, or a combination of both.


What Are the Main Differences?


  • Moisture Level

The amount of water in the food is the fundamental difference between dry and wet cat food. About 10% of dry cat food contains water, with the remaining 90% consisting of dry elements such as carbohydrates, fats, and vitamins. When compared to dry stuff, wet food contains around 70% more water. If your cat has particular health concerns that may benefit from a higher water intake, this is something to think about when deciding which to feed.


  • Manufacturing Processes

Because wet cat food has a greater moisture level, they are often produced using fresh or frozen meats and a protein source derived from grains. Meats, vitamins, minerals, and fats are combined in dry cat food and then cooked at a high temperature and pressure to make the carbohydrates more digestible.


  • Nutrients

Wet cat food usually has more carbohydrates than dry cat food. The amount of protein and fat in wet vs. dry varies depending on the diet. Probiotics may be included in certain dry cat food recipes.


Is it better to give my cat dry or wet cat food? Or a combination of both?

Whether you feed your cat dry food, wet food, or a combination of the two is determined by a variety of criteria. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of both forms of meals.


  • Advantages of Wet Cat Food

The higher water content of a canned diet is the major benefit. The extra water in these diets may help cats with certain health issues that demand a higher-than-normal water intake, including renal illness, diabetes, or lower urinary tract disease. Canned food is also quite appealing, and some cats prefer it than a dry diet, especially if they are picky eaters. Daily Nosh Functional Creamy Cat Supplement Treat are high in water content which almost contains 86% of the moisture.


  • Disadvantages of Wet Cat Food

Wet food is typically more expensive than dry food, which may influence your choice. Wet food has a 24-hour shelf life after opening and must be kept refrigerated. If your cat doesn't eat their wet food, it should be kept properly in the refrigerator or thrown away. Allowing wet food to stay out for more than a few hours might lead to infection and gastrointestinal distress.


  • Advantages of Dry Cat Food

Dry cat food is less expensive than canned food, so people who are on a strict budget or those that feed community cats may choose this option. Dry food also does not have to be stored in the refrigerator and can be left out much longer than canned food. You can also use dry cat food in automatic feeders or in puzzle feeder toys.


  • Disadvantages of Dry Cat Food

Obesity and dry cat food consumption have been associated in studies. This might be because many cats who eat dry food are generally free-fed, and their owners are unaware of how much their cats intake in a day. When your cat is free-fed, it's difficult to see when they aren't eating, which might lead to the opposite problem. For each of these reasons, the amount of food your cat consumes each day should be tracked or measured. Chewing dry food may be more difficult for older cats with dental problems or those who have had part of their teeth removed.


Both wet and dry cat food are also acceptable options

You can feed a combination of both to balance the pros and cons of both choices. This might be especially beneficial for cats who need a lot of water yet prefer dry food over wet food. You may be able to acquire the advantages of both diets by combining them together or providing wet at one feeding time and dry at the other. For further information on simple diet tips, read the article "4 Ridiculously Simple Diet Tips To Keep A Cat Healthy" to keep your furkids healthy!


If you want to blend wet and dry cat food, see your veterinarian to determine the appropriate ratio. Your veterinarian can help you figure out exactly how much food your cat needs and how to divide the two alternatives.